The Origin of Olive Oil
Explore our map to see how olive oil made its way through history.
- With a rich history to match its flavour, olive oil can trace it’s origins all the way back to 5000 BC in Persia and Mesopotamia.
- In 1500 BC, the Cretans exported oil to other Mediterranean countries, especially Egypt.
- The Phoenicians encouraged the cultivation of olive trees in the Western Mediterranean countries thanks to maritime trade.
- The Greeks started cultivating olive trees in their colonies in southern Italy.
- The Romans boosted the production of olive oil and promoted its trade across the conquered countries of the Roman Empire.